The large mound was seriously damaged by the activities of the sebbakhin with the consequent destruction of much archaeological evidence. Site of temples of Ramesses II and III, together with a palace complex of the latter king. This destroyed monument is chiefly known from the many faience tiles in museums which once decorated its chambers. These combine elements of pictorial art with inscriptions, some including the royal name.

The west half of the mound has been levelled; on the remaining part some portions of the sand gezira on which the site stands can be seen. The main mound is flanked to the NE by a road, on the other side of which is an outlying mound of 370 x 340m.

Aiman Ashmawy Ali directed work for the SCA on the small tell (East mound) in 2010-11 and found rock tombs, Hyksos, NK and LP tombs in the gezira, and donkey burials beside an MK cemetery. 
Ashmawy Ali, A. 2011, 'Tell El- Yahudia: New Information from Unpublished Excavations', Ägypten und Levante 20 (2010), 31-42.
Ashmawy Ali, A. 2016,  'Preliminary Report on the SCA Excavation at Tell el-Yahudia Season 2010-2011', Ägypten und Levante 26, 17-32. 
See  6, 331ff. and PM IV, 56-7. 
Du Buisson, "Compte Rendu sommaire d'une mission a Tell el Yahudiyé ", BIFAO 29 (), 155-77. 
Naville, E. and Griffith, F.L., The City of Onias and the Mound of the Jew. The Antiquities of Tell el-Yahudiyeh. London 1890. 
Naville, E., "Les fouilles du Delta pendant l'hiver de 1887,", Rec. Trav. 10 (1888), 50-6. 
Petrie, W.M.F., Hyksos and Israelite Cities. London, 1906. 
Shehata Adam, "Recent Excavations in the Eastern Delta", ASAE 55 (1958), 305ff.