Delta Survey

A British Academy Research Project

Information on the archaeological sites of the Delta is presented here in the form web-pages containing an alphabetical listing of sites. Where a substantial amount of information is available, or photographs of the site exist, links are provided to supplementary pages. The site-names in most cases are those of the Survey of Egypt maps. The material is offered as a source of reference and a tool for the planning of new projects.  The letters 'T' and 'K' in the lists stand for 'Tell' and 'Kom' respectively, Arabic words for 'mound', describing the usual appearance of archaeological sites in the region.

We would recommend viewing this area of the website on a desktop computer. 

You may also be interested to visit the separate Western Delta Regional Survey on Durham University's website here: http://community.dur.ac.uk/penelope.wilson/Delta/Survey.html 

Name Location
Map ref.
Extent No. Notes Literature
Umm Agram, T W of Husseiniya 30 51 57N
31 48 21E
100 x 90m
(2007)
568 Marked on the 1914 map. Amsterdam University survey 1984-5 recorded size as 220 x 140m. Formerly called T. Abu Sharaf or T. Hataba. Reduced to a small remnant. No clear features on surface or in sections. OK sherds from fields. All levelled to agriculture by 2013. SCA Sharqiya register 13120024, as T. Abu Sharaf. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:25,000 series, 90/690; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1987), 7ff., 22; id., 'The Amsterdam University Survey', in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 65-114.
Umm Arbein, Gez.
(Mantiqat An-Nawafah)
N of Faqus 30 49 30N
31 46 30E
overbuilt
315 Same mound noted in 1902 by Foucart. Listed in Amsterdam University 1984 survey as having been partly levelled. On same gezira as T. Haddadin. SCA Sharqiya register 13120034, (called Mantiqat an-Nawafah). Noted in ASAE 2, 58 and figs.7-8; Brink, in MDAIK 43 (1987), 21.
Umm Atala, T 3.5km NE of Husseiniya 30 52 56N
31 56 57E
levelled
690 A small mound remnant in fields at the west of the village. SCA Sharqiya register 13060008.
Umm el Hagar, T N of Faqus 30 49 08N
31 50 43E
100 x 100 x 1.8m
191 Amsterdam University survey of 1984: The mound has been levelled except for small part, split by fields. Once extended to the west and covered 10 feddans. Saite, Ptolemaic and Roman sherds noted. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/690; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1987), 7ff., 21.
Umm el Hagar, T E of Husseiniya 30 53 36N
32 05 49E
part levelled
202 This site includes the edge of a village on a mound and some of the adjacent cultivated land. Now known only as Farm no. 3 Bahr el-Baqar. Perhaps the same as T. Qarqada (no. 201). SCA Sharqiya register 13060011, under the name 'Zaraah 3 Bahr el-Baqar'.
Umm el Laban, K 15km S of Damanhur 30 55 05N
30 25 39E
160 x 95m (2003)
608 Visited by Neal Spencer, 2003. The mound lies at the edge of a village (Ezbet Mohamed el-Sayed el-Tunisi), and is covered by a modern cemetery. Details SCA Beheira register no. 100224. On sketch map by Coulson, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260. See Wilson, P. and Spencer, N., 'Ancient sites of Beheira and Kafr es-Sheikh', in EA 24 (Spring 2004), 10-11.
Umm el Lahm (N), T 2km WNW of San el Hagar 30 59 17N
31 51 15E
26550 sq. m. 1987
162 Italian survey 1987-8: well-preserved Ptolemaic - Roman site. No mention of pottery in id., Bull. GIECE 13, 22-6. Satellite imagery (2004) shows the mound cut to a rectangular shape by advance of the fields. A part at the NW being levelled in 2016 SCA Sharqiya register 13060029. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:25,000 series, 91/690; ESA 1:50,000 map (1996), sheet NH36-J4d. Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53. Id., map in Brink, NDIT, 173.
Umm el Lahm (S), T
(Abu Arideh)
3km W of San el Hagar 30 58 09N
31 50 09E
550 x 150m
(2004)
165 Italian survey 1987: site disturbed, with Ptolemaic - Roman pottery. This site and no. 488 below are both portions of a single large mound shown on the 1914 map. This part reduced to a narrow mound with modern tombs at the NE. Cut by fields from the south. Listed by SCA under name 'Abu Arideh'. Images SCA Sharqiya register 13060105. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:25,000 series, 91/690; ESA 1:50,000 map (1996), sheet NH36-J4d. Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53; id., Bull. GIECE 13, 25. Id., map in Brink, NDIT, 173.
Umm el Lahm (ii), T 3km W of San el Hagar 30 58 01N
31 50 04E
cultivated
488 South part of the position of the large Tell that has been cut to leave this site and no. 165 above. Now an extensive area of cultivated land owned by the SCA. SCA Sharqiya register 13090108. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Umm el Zaiyat, T E of Simbellawein 30 52 45N
31 39 09E
12,420 sq. m. in 1987
344 Italian survey 1987-8: Disturbed site, overbuilt by a modern cemetery. Archaic to Old Kingdom pottery noted. Details SCA Unregistered site no. 130013. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/675. Brink, in MDAIK 43 (1987), 21 and map in Brink, NDIT, p. 173 (location transposed with T Ein). Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53.
Umm Gafar, K NE of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 14 41N
31 01 49E
400 x 320m
(2005)
100 A large mound rising 6m above the surrounding fields, crossed by an E-W track. Visible ancient building lines show clearly on the north side. Details and photos SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090147. See Spencer, A.J. 2016, The Delta Survey 2009-2015, EES, London, 30.
Umm Galagil, T S of Mansura 30 57 16N
31 21 45E
destroyed
78 Formerly called Abu Galagil. A mound of 200 x 100m in 1914. All levelled to fields. Listed in Koms à Sebakh, 12. Shown on SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Umm Ghuzlan, T S of Damanhur 30 56 45N
30 23 59E
levelled
299 Mound some 200m long on 1914 map. Levelled to fields and partly overbuilt by Ezba Kom el-Managir. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Umm Hadid, T N of Ismailiya 30 46 38N
32 13 00E
reduced
215 Marked as an unnamed tell used a triangulation point on the 1914 map. Area now under recent cultivation. -
Umm Harb, T
(Mostai)
NW of Benha 30 35 52N
31 08 36E
overbuilt
63 Ancient Msdt. The Tell is shown clear of the village on the 1914 map, to the west. Visited by EES survey in 2005, led by J. Rowland. Sherds were observed in modern construction trenches. The kom rises to around 3-4m. Details and photos SCA Menufiya register no. 080101. SoE 1:50,000 (1914). PM iv, 44; Edgar, ASAE 11 (1911), 164ff; Daressy ASAE 12 (1912), 209ff. See P. Wilson and J. Rowland in JEA 92 (2006), 10
Umm Khadra, T SW of Husseiniya 30 49 57N
31 53 09E
230 x 125m
(2004)
544 Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: At the N end of a village and covered by a modern cemetery. Soil taken for brick-making from the east side. Satellite images (2005) show a large modern building on the mound. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/690; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1987), 7ff., 22.
Umm Sir, K E of Simbellawein 30 51 53N
31 29 35E
destroyed
341 Italian survey 1987-8: Archaic pottery noted. Area of site given as between 2550 and 10,000 square metres, but almost all taken under cultivation. Last remant of mound of 100 x 40m completely levelled to fields between 2009 and 2013. Details SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/660; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53; id., Bull. GIECE 13, 24; see also id., in Brink, NDIT, 173. 
Umm Ugilah, T 2km S of Kafr Saqr 30 46 23N
31 37 44E
overbuilt
672 A small mound about 100m in diameter, completely overbuilt by a modern cemetery.  SCA  Sharqiya register 13130063.
Urman, El 9km S of El-Mansura 30 56 38N
31 24 05E
overbuilt
514 In 1893 ancient terrain was scarcely visible and consisted of Roman brick debris. Ptolemaic statue from here sold.  Now a village. Foucart ASAE 2 (1901), 48; Bietak Tell ed-Daba, II, 112.
Uruq el Mahasha, K Central N coast 31 27 18N
31 21 00E
destroyed?
137 Satellite imagery (2003) shows much reclaimed land in this location. There is a sandy mound 200m to the east, at 31 27 20N 31 21 12E. -
Usim, K 1.5 km S of Ashmun 30 16 36N
30 59 25E
levelled
45 Mined for sebakh. Mound marked on the 1914 map clear in the cultivation. Inspected for the Delta Survey by Joanne Rowland. Satellite imagery (2005) shows the original outline of a mound some 400m diameter in the field pattern. Details and photos SoE 1:50,000 (1914). ASAE 12, 191-2.
Wahhal, K el- N of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 14 08N
30 56 35E
330 x 310m
273 A clear mound of 450 x 380 on CORONA imagery of the 1960s. Since covered by houses and tombs, the latter on the east side. Lies at the south end of the town of El-Wahhal (now called Er-Riyad); the shape of the mound is reflected in the configuration of the town on satellite images of 2016. Photo See Spencer, A.J. 2016, The Delta Survey 2009-2015, EES, London, 31.
Waq, T el-  (Daoud) SW of Abu Hummus 30 55 21N
30 14 28E
200 x 130m
(2004)
423 Marked on the 1914 map. In Beheira list of SCA as Kom Daoud. The low mound is clear of modern building and surrounded by fields. SCA Beheira register no. 100255. SoE 1:50,000 (19141:100,000 (1916). 
Waqidi, K el- SE of K el-Hisn 30 44 52N
30 38 47E
levelled
27 The 1914 map shows a mound 190m long. Reduced to a couple of small remnants only 30m in diameter. Remnants eliminated by 2013. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Wardan 4km NW of Abu Ghalib 30 16 55N
30 53 48E
overbuilt 748 A mud-brick tomb of Dyn. 2 discovered by the Swedish Egypt Expedition, 1936-1937 (Director: Hjalmar Larsen) Site now overbuilt by  modern town. PM iv, 68; Larsen, H. 1956. A Second-Dynasty grave at Warden, Northern Egypt, Orientalia Suecana 5, 3-11.
Wast, K el- - - - - see Kom el-Nuss el-Saghir (285) SCA  Beheira register 100170.
Yahid, K el- At Damanhur 31 01 58N
30 29 05E
destroyed
290 Marked as a very small Tell on the 1914 map. No trace found by S R Snape during a visit to the area in 1996. Overbuilt by the suburbs of Damanhur. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:25,000 map 92/555
Yahud, T el- Wadi Tumilat - - - See Gheyta. -
Yahudiya, T el- SE of Shibin el Qanatir 30 17 33N
31 19 51E
650 x 580m
(2006)
311 A large site, savagely mined for sebakh. Marked as a double mound on the 1914 map, already cut into two parts by a road. Large portions extant despite attrition from agiculture and building. Site of a palace of Ramesses III. Details SCA Qalubiya register no. 070205. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Yasin Omar, Ez. NE of Qantir 30 48 31N
31 51 48E
partly levelled
581 Listed in Amsterdam University 1984 -5 survey as having been partly levelled for agriculture. Remainder overbuilt by a modern cemetery. Romano-Coptic sherds seen. Brink, in MDAIK 43 (1986), 21.
Yetwal wa Yuksur, K N of El-Masara 31 14 44N
31 19 02E
410 x 375m
(2006)
307 North of El-Masara and formerly called Tell Kurdud. Noted by Edgar in 1907 as having Coptic pottery and bricks on the surface of a low mound. Visited by J and P Spencer in 2007 and surveyed in 2009-10. Details and photos SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050115 (marked erroneously as 050114 on the SCA map). SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map (as Kurdud); Edgar, in ASAE 8 (1907), 276-80; Daressy, ASAE 8 (1907), 280-81; PM IV, 45; Spencer, A.J. 2016, The Delta Survey 2009-2015, EES, London, 3-5.
Yusef, T near Simbellawein - -
312
See under Shon Yusef -
Zaazi, T 2.5km NW of Qantir 30 49 03N
31 51 49E
100 x 70m
(2020)
543 Marked on the 1914 map. Still extant and only slightly reduced in size by 2020. Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: Some sections drawn: sterile soil over strata with a few sherds, dating from NK, Saite and late Roman periods. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:25,000 series, 90/690; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff., 21.
Zalat, K el- 12km W of Dilingat 30 49 53N
30 23 56E
levelled
631 The site is shown in desert on the SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map. Satellite imagery (2002) shows the remains of the mound, the east side levelled. An area of 150 x 280m was still present in 2004, but all levelled to fields in 2009. Details SoE 1:100,000 (1916). SCA Beheira register no. 100241. On sketch map by Coulson, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260.
Zarqa, K el- SW of Abu Hummus 30 59 42N
30 11 52E
levelled
430 Also known as Kom el-Menshiya. The substantial mound shown on the 1914 map has disappeared, overbuilt by the village of the same name. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916). Bietak Tell ed-Daba, II, map 4.
Zarqa, K ez- S of K el-Hisn 30 46 13N
30 36 44E
levelled
25 Already partly overbuilt in 1914, now completely so. SCA Beheira register no. 10060 has a Kom el-Rezgeh in this location, almost certainly a misreading of the Arabic for Zarqa. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Zaqrun, K S of Abu Hummus 30 59 55N
30 17 35E
overbuilt
432 Marked on the 1914 map as a small Tell. This has been overbuilt by a village. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Zat el Kom NW of Ausim 30 09 52N
31 04 22E
overbuilt
49 Already a small town in 1914, now larger, covering any ancient site. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Zawiyet Razin - - - - See Manous (043) -
Zawya, K ez- W of Damanhur 31 03 05N
30 22 00E
250 x 170m
(2007)
381 Marked on the 1914 map as a small Tell beside a village. This has expanded across the site. SCA Beheira register no. 100119, as Kom el-Ahmar (iii). SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Zawya, T ez- In Menzala 31 17 22N
31 50 18E
310 x 170m
(2004)
475 Shown on the 1914 map as an island in Lake Menzala. Still extant in reclaimed land in 2020, but down to 295 x 145m. SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050104. On SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916); ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-N1d.
Zebedya, K el- (Beni Helal) 3km E of Damanhur 31 02 45N
30 30 15E
overbuilt
616 Shown on the 1914 and 1916 maps only as village of Ezbet Kom ez-Zibidiya. The location is now levelled to fields beside the village. SCA Beheira register no. 100125. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Zeinab Hanim, T S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 30 58 09N
30 05 14E
250 x 150m
(2002)
410 Marked on the 1914 map. The mound was clear of building in 1968 (CORONA imagery), and 300m long. Satellite imagery (2002) shows a small mound with a modern cemetery on its NE part and a few houses on the remainder. Many more houses built by 2020. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Zekri, K el- - - - - See Behaira -
Ziezi, T S edge of Menzala 31 02 39N
32 08 48E
destroyed
473 Marked on the 1914 map as Kom Kafri ("ruin mound"). Area all redeveloped for agriculture. On SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916). 
Zila, K ez- NNW of Biyala 31 18 25N
31 07 18E
levelled
117 A very small mound on the 1914 map. Levelled and overbuilt by a few houses. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh no. 090124. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Zinein, T 4 km S of Minshat Abu Omar 30 52 29N
32 01 17E
300 x 230m
(2004)
208 A large mound on the 1914 map. Noted by Petrie in 1885 as a Late Roman mound about 20 feet high, with four blocks of granite on the surface, with red bricks and glass fragments. Munich survey noted no sherds earlier than MK. Still the same size in 2020 as in 2004. SCA Sharqiya register 13060025. SoE 1:50,000 (1914). Müller, in SBAW 8 (1966), 17 and Abb.9. Petrie, unpublished notes inserted into volume, Tanis I, at Edwards Library, University College London.
Zuba, T NW of Balamun 31 19 17N
31 31 44E
30 x 25m
(2004)
149 Named on the 1914 map without an indicated Tell. A tiny mound on satellite images. No reuction in size between 2004 and 2020. SoE SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Zumran, K 4km E of Dilingat 30 50 03N
30 34 37E
overbuilt
741 Modern village on an ancient site. -
Zuweiya, K SE of K el-Hisn 30 44 00N
30 38 45E
destroyed
28 Nothing but cultivated fields shows on satellite images of this location. -
Zuwelen, T (Sueilin) 4km SSE of San el Hagar 30 56 01N
31 53 29E
600 x 300m
(2005)
324 Marked on the 1914 map as 'Geziret Zuwilin'. SCA work produced material of NK and later date (Leclant 1973). Satellite imagery (2006) shows a large oval mound, almost completely clear of modern buildings except for the lowest slopes. An area at the S. was levelled and overbuilt by 2016. SCA Sharqiya register 13060041. SoE 1:50,000 (1914). Coordinates in EAIS Al-Sharqiyya volume incorrect. Foucart, in ASAE 2 (1901), 79; Leclant, Or 42 (1973), 396. ESA 1:50,000 map (1996), sheet NH36-J4d. See C. Favard-Meeks, ‘Tell Sueilin’, in Studies on Ancient Egypt in honour of H.S. Smith, 83-96 (London,1999).

SUL-TUR          Back to top