Delta Survey

A British Academy Research Project

Information on the archaeological sites of the Delta is presented here in the form web-pages containing an alphabetical listing of sites. Where a substantial amount of information is available, or photographs of the site exist, links are provided to supplementary pages. The site-names in most cases are those of the Survey of Egypt maps. The material is offered as a source of reference and a tool for the planning of new projects.  The letters 'T' and 'K' in the lists stand for 'Tell' and 'Kom' respectively, Arabic words for 'mound', describing the usual appearance of archaeological sites in the region.

We would recommend viewing this area of the website on a desktop computer. 

You may also be interested to visit the separate Western Delta Regional Survey on Durham University's website here: 

Name Location
Map ref.
Extent No. Notes Literature
Sultan, K Just W of Biyala 31 10 50N
31 12 10E
96 Tell marked on the 1914 map. Nothing but cultivated fields can be seen on satellite images of this location. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Sultan el Khadr, T E of Simbellawein 30 53 32N
31 38 10E
300 x 160m
343 Italian survey 1987-8: disturbed Ptolemaic to Roman site. Late Period and Roman pottery noted by Brink. Mound mostly covered by a modern cemetery.  SCA Sharqiya register 13130057. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/675; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53; Brink, in MDAIK 43 (1987), 21, 24; On map in Brink, NDIT, 173.
Sultan Hassan, Gezira 3km NW of Abu Kebir 30 44 46N
31 40 22E
562 Town and modern cemetery on a gezira mound. Amsterdam University survey 1984 recorded some stratigraphy in the fields NE of the modern cemetery. NK and 3IP sherds were noted. SoE 1:25,000 series, 89/675; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff; id, 'The Amsterdam University Survey', in Brink Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 65-114. 
Suwa SE of Saft el-Henna 30 31 52N
31 36 57E
part overbuilt
327 Cemetery site, dyn. 18 to Roman, worked by Petrie. Liverpool University Delta Survey 1986: sandy gezira mound used for ancient and modern cemeteries, edges being cut for fields and overbuilt by expansion of villages. SCA work 1965, 1971-2 and 1983. SCA Sharqiya register 13040090. Garrow-Duncan in Petrie, Petrie, Hyksos and Israelite Cities, 47-51. Tyldesley Pop. Arch. July 1985, 36. For SCA work, see Leclant, Or 48 (1979), 352; Nibbi, GM 35, 43-4; Or 51 (1982), 57; Or. 54 (1985), 349 [Late tombs]; see also Or 42 (1973), 396.
Sweni SE of Simbellawein 30 48 20N
31 30 30E
313 A mud-brick enclosure of 900 x 300 m, orientated NW-SE existed here, but had already almost gone in 1902 according to Foucart. Now site of a village. Foucart, RT 20 (1898), 162-3; ASAE 2, 51-2, fig.3. 
Taalib, K el- S of Dikirnis 31 01 10N
31 34 00E
158 Overbuilt by a town already by 1914. SoE 1:50,000 (1914). See Foucart ASAE 2 (1901), 74.
Taeb, K 12km NW of Dilingat 30 54 08N
30 27 41E 
160 x 70m
737 A small mound in fields, overbuilt by a  few Islamic graves. Situated 700m SE of the village of El-Taeb Jali, from which the name is derived. Still visible on satellite images of 2016. Included in Coulson-Leonard Naukratis regional survey, see map by Coulson in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260.
Tahun, T. el- - - - - See under Bus, T. el- (163). SCA Sharqiya register 13190107.
Talat Ghabat, K NW of Biyala 31 17 18N
30 03 19E
destroyed 120 Mound of 900 x 350 m on the 1914 map. Marked as Kom el-Salaset Ghabat on SoE 1916 map and Bietak map. CORONA imagery shows that this area in the 1960s was unreclaimed, and there appears to have been a large mound at these coordinates. The area has since been converted for agriculture. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916). Bietak, Tell ed-Daba II.
Talluz, K NW Delta 31 14 11N
30 18 45E
440 x 300m
227 Marked as a large Tell on the 1914 map. On shore of Lake Edku. Now in reclaimed land of fish-farms. Number of houses on the mound increased by 2020. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Tamlikh, T at Minshat Abu Omar 30 53 28N
32 00 24E
300 x 300m
207 Noted by Petrie in 1885 as being a small mound about 15 feet high, with a small quantity of Late Roman red bricks on the surface. Extent of site in 1966 recorded as 16 feddans. Still extant in 2016 at 250 x 300m. SCA Sharqiya register 13060020. Müller, in SBAW 8 (1966), 17 and Abb.9. Petrie, unpublished notes inserted into volume, Tanis I, at Edwards Library, University College London.
Tanah 7km SW of Dikirnis 31 02 10N
31 33 15E
479 Noted by Foucart west of village of Tanah, but probably extended under the town. Patches of wasteland show on both E and W of town. Granodiorite statues of Osiris and Horus, both Late Period, from here. See Foucart RT 20 (1898), 164-5; id. ASAE 2 (1901), 74; Griffith in Naville, Mound of the Jew, 70; Daressy ASAE 30 (1930), 86ff; position of town on ESA 1996 map NH36-N1a.
Tanan 19km N of Cairo 30 14 35N
31 14 40E
703 A modern town (over an ancient site)? SCA Qalubiya register no. 070107.
Tanbul, T (Tambul) SW of Simbellawein 30 51 05N
31 23 47E
Overbuilt by military 1983
72 Despite some earlier attrition by sebbakhin, the site is still present as a 700 x 450m mound on the 1914 map. Site of rectangular enclosure of 4 km of pharaonic brick with Roman,Coptic and Arabic rebuilding. Details SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register  050304 (location marked erroneously as 050305 on SCA map). SoE 1:50000 (1914) - with name T. Iswid. PM iv, 37; Foucart, ASAE 2 (1901), 50, 71; Daressy, ASAE 13 (1913), 185.
Taqala, K N of Abu Hummus 31 08 37N
30 17 44E
390 x 300m
370 A clear small tell shows on CORONA 1960s photography. This site has been released by the SCA for development. Details and photos SoE 1:100,000 (1916). Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 117-18, 346-8.
Taranis el-Arab 4km SE of Simbellawein 30 52 15N
31 30 15E
498 Already a town by 1914. Surrounded by cultivated fields. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); Koms à Sebakh:11; Chlodnicki et al, CRIPEL 14 (1992), 50; see Plan 4 of Bietak, Tell ed-Daba, II.
Tarfaya, K el- W edge of L Edku 31 14 08N
30 08 26E
overbuilt by village
224 A village "Kom et-Tarfaya" is shown on the SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map with Kom ed-Dahab (iii) to the east (SCA 100158, see our no. 635). The site at Tarfaya is now under the village. Details and photos SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
SCA Beheira register no. 100161. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 71-7.
Tarha, T el- ESE of Dikirnis  31 03 40N
31 41 36E
159 On SoE 1914 map as a mound of 320 x 300m. Now all area levelled to cultivated fields. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Tawahin Ikrash Area 6.5km NE of Diarb Nigm  30 46 22N
31 31 47E
40 x 30m
661 A very small residual mound in cultivated land. There is a modern cemetery on a mound 80m to the north. SCA Sharqiya register 13170070 (as Mantiqat Tawahin Ikrash).
Tawil, El K el- W of Minuf 30 30 03N
30 49 07E
37 An oval shape in the field pattern, visible on CORONA photographs (1968) and on later satellite images, with a small modern cemetery on its west side, indicates the former outline of the mound, shown on the 1914 map at 400 x 300m. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Tawil, K el- NE of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 11 54N
31 05 26E
200 x 100 x 3m
304 SCA excavations in 1967 found Roman pottery and brick conduits. An extensive oval mound in the middle of the town of the same name. Mound totally covered by a modern cemetery and continues eastwards below the town. -
Tawil, T el- E of Simbellawein 30 53 02N
31 37 03E
180 Marked on the 1914 map as a row of mounds in an E-W line. Italian survey of 1987-8 suggested this location is just a geomorphological feature, not an ancient site. The area is now all cultivated. SoE 1:50,000 (1914). Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 50.
Tawila, Gezira el- SE of Dahtamun 30 39 43N
31 44 02E
220 x 100 x 3.2m
537 Amsterdam University survey 1894-5: Long narrow sandy strip, the S part covered by village of Ez. el-Sayed Gad and its cemetery. GR cemetery site. More overbuilding had taken place by 2013. Details SCA Sharqiya register 13120014. SoE 1:25,000 series, 880/675; PM iv, 10; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1987), 7ff., 23.
Tellein 14km S of T. Muqdam 30 33 30N
31 21 36E
521 The village of El-Tellein was included in the Friedman-Buck survey of 1992. Several finds of antiquities have been made in the town. Details Friedman and Buck, forthcoming.
Temai el Amdid S of Mansura 30 56 20N
31 31 00E
179 Major site not part of this survey
Ancient Thmuis. Rectangular enclosure in NE called Khoronfish with fired brick construction. Ruins of Coptic church. American work in 1960s. SCA excavations in 1990s. University of Hawaii began work in 2008 and found remains of a Greek-style temple of Ptolemy II and Queen Arsinoe.

SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050312. Daressy ASAE 13 (1913), 183-4; Ochsenslager 1967. See bibliography for Temai and Mendes here.

For additional references, see

Thufiya, T el- SE of Dikirnis 30 59 14N
31 38 43E
230 x 190m (2005)
170 Italian survey 1987: A Late Roman mound with Red Slip Wares, coins and glass. Cut to a triangular shape by advancing fields. Clear of overbuilding, set in the cultivation on satellite images. SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050207. SoE 1:25,000 series, 91/675; See Chlodnicki in Bull. GIECE 13, 25; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53.; id., map in Brink, NDIT, 173. 
Tibn, K el- N of Bilqas 31 22 44N
31 20 23E
127 Marked on the 1914 map. This location was already levelled to agriculture by 1968, as field-plots show on CORONA images, but SCA tests were made in 2003 of an area 240 x 110m prior to construction of an industrial plant.. SoE SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Tibn, K el- SW of Abu Hummus 30 56 58N
30 14 56E
part levelled
200 x 100m
426 The mound appears on satellite imagery (2002) as a remnant of one end, with a square-cut section removed and levelled to agriculture. The rest is clear of any modern building but at extreme risk. SCA Beheira register no. 100235. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916).
Tibni, K el- N of Biyala 31 13 57N
31 12 27E
290 x 170m
108 Satellite imagery shows the mound clear of buildings except for a few houses along the east side. There is a canal on the west. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090114 (marked 4km too far north on the SCA map?). SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Tin, K el- NW of Biyala 31 21 55N
31 01 12E
300 x 160m
122 Satellite imagery (2005) shows the N half of the low mound still extant and clear. The S half and all the surrounding area has been converted to fish-farms. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090115. SoE 1:50,000 (1914) map gives name as Tibn.
Tinnis, T In Menzala 31 12 02N
32 14 05E
1200 x 1200m
153 Coptic and Islamic city-site. Some of the major street lines visible. Alison Gascoigne began a survey of the mound in May 2000. Details Munier, ASAE 18 (1918), 72-4; ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-N2a.
Gascoigne, A., 'The Medieval City of Tinnis', in EA 22 (Spring 2002), 25-7.
Tub, K el- NW of Biyala 31 22 23N
31 05 07E
Marked on the 1914 map as a mound of 200 x 200m. No evidence for this site under Ezba 18, as the location was already fields in the 1960s (CORONA images) before the Ezba was built. SoE 1:50,000 (1914); 1:100,000 (1916). Map in Bietak, Tell ed-Daba, II (mis-named as Kom el-Nub) 
Tubgi, El- 5.5km S of Abu Kebir 30 40 13N
31 40 00E
681 A few houses, gardens and a cemetery on a reduced mound. SCA Sharqiya register 13050076.
Tubul, K et- S of Damanhur 30 51 24N
30 25 24E
160 x 240m (2004)
446 Surrounded by fields, this tell has no modern settlement upon or adjacent to it. The topography is relatively even, and the surface is covered in halfa-grass. A portion at the south was levelled to fields by 2016. Details and photo SCA Beheira register no. 100202. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). On sketch map by Coulson, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260.
Tukh el Qaramus SW of Abu Kebir 30 40 54N
31 38 27E
550 x 500m
196 Explored by Naville and Griffith, see references under details below. Liverpool University Delta Survey 1983-4: large areas remain free of modern structures. Visible brick foundation of temple of Philip Arrhidaeus. Also Amsterdam University survey 1984-5. Details SCA Sharqiya register 13050093. SoE 1:25,000 series, 88/675.
Tyldesley, Pop. Arch. July 1985, 33.
Tukh, T N of Mehalla 31 08 49N
31 07 20E
200 x 130m
88 Marked on the 1914 map with a size of 300 x 220m, with a few Islamic tombs on the top. A mound of 260 x 300m shows on the 1960s CORONA imagery and it is still (2020) 200 x 130m, but covered by tombs. SoE 1:50,000 (1914).
Turuga, K W of Damanhur 30 57 47N
30 10 28E
350 x 300m (2004)
303 Identified as Psenemphaia. Described by Hogarth in his report of 1895 to the EEF (see P. Spencer reference opposite). A Graeco-Roman site with some surviving stone and brick foundations from substantial architecture. Details and photos SCA Beheira register no. 100251. P Spencer, in Studies on Ancient Egypt in Honour of H S Smith (EES 1999), 305, 308-11.

SHE-SOW         Back to top          UMM-ZU