Name Location
Map ref.
Extent No. Notes Literature
Mit El-Faramawy 2km NW of Tell el Muqdam 30 41 10N
31 20 20E
509 Friedman and Buck survey of 1992 did not locate this site, and local people had no memory of it. Originally a part of Dundit or Tell el Muqdam. Only fields show on satellite imagery (2007) See Koms à Sebakh,12; Friedman and Buck forthcoming.
Mit Gharita 2.5km SW of Thmuis 30 55 50N
31 28 20E
destroyed ?
526 Town of this name on 1:100,000 (1916) map, with a mound called Tell el-Humar situated 1.7km to the east. Finds: 3 fragments of grey granite naos with mythological scenes, Ptolemaic, in mosque. Objects in Cairo Museum from the site. Kamal, in ASAE 5 (1904), 193-5; PM IV:37; Engelbach list.
Mit Rumi Suburb of Dikirnis 31 05 02N
31 35 38E
480 Confused with T. Billa by Daressy. Satellite imagery (2004) shows an area of wasteland on the S edge of the town, probably remains of a tell. Foucart, ASAE 2 (1901), 69-70; Daressy, ASAE 30 (1930), 89-90; ESA 1996 map sheet NH36-N1a.
Mit Yaish 8km SSW of T Moqdam 30 37 12N
31 18 49E
180 x 90 x 1-2m high
64 Extent from Friedman-Buck survey in 1992. Site used for village activities and partly covered by cemetery. THIP - Roman antiquities. Details SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050311. See Daressy, ASAE 22 (1922), 77, 185-92; Adam, ASAE 55 (1958), 301-303.
Mitabbish, T el- S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 30 57 56N
30 05 46E
180 x 140m
409 Satellite imagery (2005) shows a low mound, cut square by advancing fields, with a few houses built on it. The fields have taken two oblique cuts from the NE side. Probably same as SCA Beheira register no. 100210 (El-Matishe - Arabic error of ye for beth). SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Moh. Abu Hasan, T N of Abu Kebir 30 49 08N
31 40 35E
400 x 100m
574 Visible on CORONA imagery as a mound some 400m long. The shape still evident in the field-pattern until at least 2017. Best  Google Earth images are 28 Oct 2009 and 21 Sept 2016. Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: Sherds of OK and possibly also First Intermediate Period noted. SCA Unregistered site no. 130011. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/675; Brink, in Krzyzaniak et al., Studies in African Archaeology, 4, 279ff., esp. 300, fig.9, No. 3; Id., MDAIK 43 (1986), 7-31.
Moqdam, T 7 km SE of Mit Ghamr 30 40 59N
31 21 20E
1000 x 750m
66 Major site not part of this survey
Ancient Leontopolis and perhapsT3-rmw; J3t-hnw; Natho? Excavations by ARCE in 1992-6, (who place longitude at 31 19 00E). Saite - Persian deposits. Large city mound. Details
SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050309 (location marked erroneously as 050310 on SCA map). See Redmount and Friedman, for complete bibliography
Moshtoher At town of Moshtoher 30 21 07N
31 13 48E
728 A modern town on an ancient site. Some areas of clear land, probably mound remnants, show on satellite imagery (2006) below the NE part. SCA Qalubiya register no. 070210.
Mostai - - - - see Tell Umm Harb (63) -
Mowrad, T SW of Damietta 31 18 22N
31 31 29E
very small
688 A very small mound in the cultivation, just east of Kafr el-Atrash. It was named on the SoE 1:25,000 map as Tell Daoud Mowrad, but is now known locally as Tell el Hagar, a name originally applied to the nearby Tell Halbouny. Details and photos SoE 1:25,000 series, 91/675. The SCA Damietta - Daqahliya register seems to give this name to Tell Halbouny (the original Tell el-Hagar, EES no. 149).
Muftah, T 6km SW of Dahtamun 30 38 10N
31 40 15E
220 x 200 x 4m
553 Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: E part levelled and overbuilt by village. Rest covered by cemetery, leaving only 50m free. No distinguishable features in sections. Sherds noted were LP and Roman. SCA Sharqiya register 13040091. SoE 1:25,000 series, 88/675; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff.
Mughazi, K el- NW of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 12 43N
30 51 36E
80 x 60m
280 A small mound in fields, overbuilt by a modern cemetery. CORONA photography shows that the mound was no larger in the 1960s. Schiestl 2010a.
Munaga, T el- 9km E of Husseiniya 30 51 50N
32 01 47E
600 x 500m
658 SCA supervised area is entirely under cultivated fields, but there are several mounds in the area: two gezira mounds to the W and SW and an overbuilt mound to the E. SCA Sharqiya register 13060104.
Murra, T. el- - - - - See Mara, no, 493 above. -
Mustagidda, K el- 11km NW of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 11 04N
30 50 53E
746 The 1960s CORONA images show the probable footprint of this site in the field-pattern. Area all cultivated. Location rediscovered in the survey by Robert Schiestl. See Schiestl 2010a.
Mutran, Ez. el- N of Bilqas 31 17 35N
31 23 27E
150m across
A small low-lying patch of wasteland remains of the small mound shown on the 1916 map. The site has been cut back to a rectangular shape by advance of the cultivation. The churches and convent of St. Demiana, and her tomb, lie at the north-west edge. SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map.
Mutubis, T N of Fuwa 31 17 12N
30 33 21E
550 x 500m x 10m high
234 Also known as K el Ahmar. A huge mound of predominantly Roman date. Investigated by P. Wilson in 2013-14. Details and photos SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090175. SoE 1:25,000 series, 95/570; ESA 1996 map NH36-M2c. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 195-201. See also EA 47 (Autumn 2015), 36.
Nabaroh W of Mansura 31 05 50N
31 18 10E
506 The modern town is built over the ancient mound, and rises 15m above field level. Indicated as ancient location on Bietak's map in Tell ed-Daba II
Naggar, K el- E of Sais 30 57 30N
30 52 50E
14 At this location there is a modern town, possibly on an ancient site. -
Naggarein, T Near Fariskur 31 19 45N
31 47 50E
400x 120m
180 x 140m
487 Two adjacent mounds, once all one but now split by fields, in reclaimed land. Visited by J and P Spencer in 1997. Visible traces of buried brick walls, surface Roman sherds and red bricks. Details and photos -
Nagi, K  S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 02 27N
30 06 52E
190 x 100m
397 A small area, covered by modern graves, on the ESA 1:50,000 map (1996), confirmed by satellite images of 2007. Extensive Roman housing area found by SCA in 2002, with a brick winery, a tiled water reservoir and much pottery (Arabic News). SCA Beheira register no. 100185, but location on SCA map brochure seems inexact (transposed with Kom el Giza, 369). SoE 1:100,000 (1916). ESA 1:50,000 map NH36-M1a (1996).
Nagla, K N of Biyala 31 13 56N
31 14 13E
300 x 130m
110 Satellite imagery shows a rectangular mound, the edges cut straight by agricultural advancement. Used as modern cemetery with tombs on the north-east and southern parts. Lies just NE of Ezba Osman. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090176.
Nakhariya, El- 4km NE of Zagazig 30 36 07N
31 27 45E
525 The Friedman-Buck survey of 1992 reported: The site appears on the Description map surrounded by several others (Kom Chibeh, Kom Gedieh, etc.), which may have been dependencies of Tell Basta. Area overbuilt by a town. Liste de Koms a Sebakh, 9; SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map (as a town only).
Nakhla el-Bahariya, K NE of Abu Hummus 31 08 43N
30 21 43E
320 x 300 x 4m (2004)
374 This seems to have been an extensive site but it has now almost completely vanished. A village and cemetery overlie the most prominent high spots or mounds at the site, approximately 4m and 3.5m high. Details and photos SCA Beheira register no. 100122, although the location on the SCA map brochure is not identical. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 134-5, 356-8.
Naqus, T el- S of El-Mansura 30 57 03N
31 26 04E
Part of Hermopolis Parva, with adjacent Tell Baqliya. CORONA image from 1968 shows a temple enclosure occupying all of this mound. Now used by the military. Details -
Nasara, K el- At Damanhur 31 01 30N
30 29 00E
291 Shown on old SoE maps at S of town: certainly levelled and overbuilt. Only cultivated fields show on satellite imagery of this location. SoE 1:25,000 map 92/555
Nashwein, K el- Near L Burullos 31 21 17N
30 52 35E
900 x 450m
263 A long mound with high ends and a low centre, set among regular cultivated fields, all of relatively recent creation since the draining of salt marshes of this region. Surveyed by P. Wilson for the Delta Survey in 2012. Area at W. end test-pitted in 2009 and industrial plant built 2013. Details SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090144
Nasiri, T el- - -
- see Hagga, T el- (555) -
Nasr, K el-
W of Damanhur 31 03 20N
30 10 30E
204 Formerly called K el Baqar, or 'K Bagara' of Hogarth's 1895 report to the EES. Called Kom el-Nasr on the ESA 1:50,000 map of 1996. Levelled and overbuilt by the village. SCA Beheira register no. 100153 (as Baqar, inaccurately placed). SoE 100,000 (1916) map shows "Ez. Kom el-Baqar". Spencer, P., "Hogarth's 1895 Report", in Leahy & Tait (eds.), Studies in Honour of H.S. Smith, 310.
Nasra, K en- N of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 09 00N
30 05 30E
359 On line of Mahmudiya canal and probably destroyed. There is a small modern cemetery 150m SW of this position.  SoE 1:100,000 (1916). 
Natura, T 3km NE of Kafr Saqr 30 48 56N
31 38 36E
670 A mound situated in cultivated land, covered by a modern cemetery, with a few houses at the east. SCA Sharqiya register 13130055 (Naturah).
Nawam, K el- 5km NW of Damanhur 31 04 47N
30 27 50E
280 x 200m in 2004
611 Visited by Penny Wilson in 2004. A low-lying site next to Ezbet Kom en Nawwam. South part test pitted in 2009; large building in compound constructed 2013. Details and photos SoE 1:100,000 (1916). SCA Beheira register no. 100169. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 184-6, 403-410.
Nefwa, El- 10km ESE of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 05 25N
30 12 28E
615 Shown as a small mound on the SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map. Satellite imagery (2002, partial cloud cover) shows a small village. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). SCA Beheira register no. 100123. 
Nemra, T NE of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 17 34N
31 07 19E
601 There are no signs of any mound at this position on satellite images, but there is a small mound covered by a modern cemetery at 31 17 38N 31 07 40E. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090162.
Shown on map in Bietak, Tell ed-Daba, II.
Neqrash, El- W of Itayi el-Barud 30 53 35N
30 36 36E
overbuilt 742 Modern village, possibly  on an ancient site. Preserves the name of nearby Naukratis. See Coulson and Leonard, JFA 6 (1979), 157.
Nideiba SW of Damanhur 30 59 08N
30 22 34E
300 Under town of Nideiba. On SoE 1: 100,000 (1916).
Nigili, K el- W of Hosh Isa 30 53 55N
30 13 51E
451 Area visited by S R Snape for the EES in 1996: only a village and small modern cemetery then remained on a slightly elevated mound. Remains of two structures for wine production noted in 2009 by M. Kennawi. Site levelled. SCA Beheira register no. 100250. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
See under Kennawi in Bibliography.
Niqeiza, K SE from Baltim 31 27 57N
31 15 27E
600 x 400 x 8m
132 A substantial mound is visible on satellite imagery, surrounded by fields. Occupied by some abandoned modern installations. Details SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050106. On SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map and also still shown on ESA 1996 map NH36-M3d. 
Nisf, K el- E of Buto 31 11 10N
30 40 36E
2 Satellite imagery (2007) shows a small modern cemetery at the west side of the village, probably on the ancient mound. SoE 1:100,000 (1916); ESA 1996 map NH36-M2a (as village).
Noweish, K en- 5 km ESE of Buto 31 10 41N
30 47 44E
300 x 200m
5 Mound partly occupied by village and modern cemetery, the free part covers 200 x 300 metres, elevated 2.5 metres above the cultivation. Details MDAIK 40 (1984), 323f; P Ballet and T von der Way, "Exploration archeologique de Bouto et de sa region", in MDAIK 49 (1993), 1-22. Also Schiestl 2010a.
Nugus, K el- Coastal bar W of Alexandria 30 57 21N
29 32 26E
400 x 200m
736 Ancient Plinthine. Site comprises a low Hellenistic area and a higher mound with remains dating back to the Saite Period. French team have worked in the cemetery and on the town mound. See Dhennin, S. and Redon, B., 'Plinthine on Lake Mareotis', Egyptian Archaeology 43 (Autumn 2013), 36-8; Boussac, M-F. 2015, 'Recent Works at Taposiris and Plinthine', Bulletin de la Société Archaeologique d'Alexandrie 49, 189-217. Boussac, M-F., Dhennin, S. and Redon, B. 2015, 'Plinthine et la Maréotide pharaonique', BIFAO 115, 15-36. Robinson, D and Goddio, F. (eds) 2015, Oxford Centre for Maritime Archaeology Monographs: Thonis-Heracleion in Context. For more information and bibliography, see the account of archaeological activity on the IFAO website.
Nur, K el- 6km NE of Mit Ghamr 30 43 45N
31 17 35E
73 Under a modern town. Friedman-Buck survey 1992 failed to locate the site, which was unknown to local inhabitants. Foucart ASAE 2 (1901), 74.
Nusraniya, T - - - - see Atrash, T (546) -

MAH-MIR         Back to top          NUS-QUT