Name Location
Map ref.
Extent No. Notes Literature
Kharif, K el- NW of Biyala 31 16 00N
31 03 55E
destroyed
101 The mound shows on CORONA images from 1968, but more recent satellite imagery shows a large industrial complex at this location. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090117.
Kharuf, K el- NW of Biyala 31 17 10N
31 04 45E
destroyed
119 Hogarth described this site as 'about the size of Sidi Salem (282), but very low'. Coin of Constantine IV. A mound of 210 x 140m shows on the CORONA 1960s imagery. This location is now occupied by fish-farms and agricultural basins. See Hogarth, JHS 24 (1904), 16.
Khasna, T el- 1.7km NW of Abu Kebir 30 44 30N
31 39 47E
overbuilt
561 Amsterdam University survey 1984-5. Low tell founded on a gezira, overbuilt by village of Ez. Rizqalla Shedid. Tests by M Mussalami 1969 found Archaic flints and pottery. OK, MK and Ptolemaic sherds seen. SCA Unregistered site no. 130012. SoE 1:25,000 series, 89/675; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff; id., “The Amsterdam University Survey to the north-eastern Nile Delta (1984-1986)”, in Brink Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 65-114. 
Khatimi, K el- 3km E of Abqaein 30 52 59N
30 22 20E
145 x 130m (2003)
602 A small, low mound standing in the cultivated land. Roman sherds noted. Visited by Neal Spencer in 2003. Details SCA Beheira register no. 100225. On sketch map by Coulson, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260.
Khawaled, T NE of Sidi Salem 31 17 25N
30 51 41E
924 x 723m
(2004)
272 A large mound rising 15m above the cultivation. Identified with Phragonis. Fieldwork begun by Uppsala University expedition in 2006. Details and photos SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register  no. 090122. SoE 1:25,000 series, 95/600; Spencer, SA 14 (1992), 537; Hogarth, JHS 24, (1904),1-19.
Khelwa Senhawa E of Qaha 30 16 23N
31 14 07E
overbuilt
724 A village shows on satellite imagery (2006) of this location. SCA Qalubiya register no. 070206.
Khilgan, K el- SE of Samara 30 54 53N
31 37 51E
8600 m2
607 Flattened mound, now cultivated. Excavations in Summer 2002, directed by B. Midant-Reynes, revealed three levels of remains, the oldest being Predynastic. Details B. Midant Reynes, B. Febry, M. de Dapper, Sylvie Duchesne inter alia, Kom el-Khilgan. Preliminary report from the 2002 campaign. UMR 8555 CNRS - Centre d'Anthropologie, Toulouse and IFAO. See also BIFAO 104 (2), 2004, 699-704.
Khirba, K el- SW of Abu Hummus 30 58 02N
30 14 54E
destroyed
427 Shown only as a village on the ESA 1996 map. Confirmed by satellite images. SCA Beheira register no. 100218. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). ESA 1996 map NH36-I4c.
Khirba, T el- SE of Dikirnis 30 56 48N
31 37 22E
245 x 195m
(2006)
174 Visited by J and P Spencer in 1990. Difficult dirt roads: 1 hour 20min from Mansura. Small mound cut down from a once-large tell. Tell is oval, sharp slope to west, sinking gradually to east. Details SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050305 (incorrectly marked 050306 on SCA map). SoE 1:25,000 series, 91/660; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53. and id., map in Brink. NDIT, 173.
Khoderi, T el- 5.5 km N of El-Qurdi 31 13 01N
31 45 12E
destroyed by 1996
319 Mentioned by Foucart 1898. Had Roman bricks, and was a 'long dark mound'. The mound shows on CORONA images of 1968 to have been just over 200m long. Excavated by SCA and then levelled for agriculture. A small remnant is visible on satellite imagery of 2006, beside a canal. Foucart, ASAE 2 (1901), 63 andRT 20 (1898), 167.
Khubbeiza, K el- Near L Burullos 31 23 14N
30 49 54E
620 x 250m
(2006)
257 A large mound clear of building, set in an area of land reclamation for agriculture and fish-farms. Visited by Penny Wilson for the Delta Survey in Spring 2012. Part levelled to fish farm lagoons, later converted to fields, at the NW in 2013. Details SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register  no. 090120.
Khunfis, K el- S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 05 30N
30 08 15E
100x 100m
(2006)
363 The mound seems to have formerly occupied the land in the SW quadrant of a town, and has been levelled to fields, leaving a gap in the usual circular shape of the settlements. SCA Beheira register no. 100129 (Khanfes). SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Kidwa, K 11km NW of Dilingat 30 53 58N
30 27 22E 
135 x 105m
(2016)
738 A small mound overbuilt by modern cemetery. Included in Coulson-Leonard Naukratis regional survey, see map by Coulson in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260.
Kidwet el Banat SE of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 02 40N
30 11 10E
levelled
706 Location from SCA map. Only fields show on satellite imagery of this location. SCA Beheira register no. 100148.
Kidwet el Kuhla 7 km N of Mutubis (234) 31 20 55N
30 33 50E
destroyed
462 It is not shown on the ESA 1996 map NH36-M2c, but in the same location an Ezba by the name of Kom Dimis is marked. No sign of the site on satellite imagery. -
Kidwet es-Samn 10km SSW of Abu Hummus 31 00 59N
30 21 30E
110 x 95m (2017) 747 This small mound shows on CORONA photography of 1968, and a remnant is visible on later satellite imagery, surrounded by cultivated land. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Kifriya, el- N of Faqus 30 47 18N
31 47 24E
levelled
578 Listed in Amsterdam University 1984-5 survey as having been partly levelled. Completely gone by 2006. NK and Romano- Coptic sherds noted. Brink, in MDAIK 43 (1986), 21, 23.
Kirsa, K el- S edge L Burullos 31 22 15N
30 39 20E
destroyed
239 Not shown on ESA 1996 map NH36-M2c. Satellite imagery (2007) shows a small mound remnant and some land under reclamation just N of this point. Only on SoE 1:100,000 map (1916).
Kom Sauwan, T S of El Matamir 30 52 47N
30 11 10E
240 x 150m
(2006)
452 Satellite imagery (2006) shows a substantial mound here, overbuilt by an extensive modern cemetery. SCA Beheira register 100259, assuming an inaccurate plot on the SCA map. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Kortas, K 7 km N of Dilingat 30 52 37N
30 31 43E
220 x 200m (2005)
16 A small mound of Late Period to Roman date. Site low and sandy. Satellite images from 2004 - 2011 show test-pits; concrete foundations across S. part in 2013; complete industrial complex over all S. half and a building at the NE in 2016. Details SCA Beheira register no. 100262. Coulson, Cities of the Delta, I. Naukratis, 77-8, fig. 40-41; Coulson & Leonard,JARCE 19 (1982), 85.
Kufr Nigm Near Kafr Saqr 30 45 39N
31 36 05E
large necropolis 1980s
193 University of Zagazig found tombs of 1st. dynasty in 1983-4. Site divided into three parts by roads and canals. Listed in Amsterdam University 1984 survey as having been partly levelled. Early Dynastic and OK sherds noted. Details Leclant, Orientalia 33, 341; I M Bakr, “The New Excavations at Ezbet et-tell, Kufr Nigm; The First Season 1984”, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 49-62; id. in MDAIK 43 (1986), 20, 23.
Kurdi, T el- At El-Kurdi 31 10 18N
31 45 40E
80 x 70m
(2003)
481 Covered by an Islamic cemetery according to Foucart in 1893. The small mound is still evident on satellite imagery of 2003. Foucart ASAE 2 (1901), 50. Listed in Koms à Sebakh, 12. 
Kurdud, T el- 2.5km N of El-Masara -
-
- See Yetwal wa Yuksur (307), below on page 20. On SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map; also on the ESA 1996 map NH36-M3b, but without name.
Lagan, T In Lake Menzala 31 14 06N
32 04 53E
destroyed
472 Scant traces of the site are visible on satellite imagery of 2007. Listed in Koms à Sebakh, 12. On SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map, and still named but without indication of size on ESA 1996 map NH36-N2a.
Limsan, K W of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 07 54N
30 01 11E
310 x 300m
(2007)
356 The mound has been cut to a square shape and partly levelled. It is covered with tracks and there are some modern buildings on the NW corner. SCA Beheira register no. 100183. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Lugga, El- (Bouhed) Near Menzala 31 07 10N
31 59 00E
destroyed
482 Noted by Foucart. There are now (2007) only cultivated fields in this location. Foucart RT 20 (1898), 167 and ASAE 2 (1901), 78. 
Lugga, T el- E of Simbellawein 30 51 57N
31 34 32E
395 x 195 x 3.5m in 1987
335 Italian survey 1987-8: Late Roman, partly disturbed. Tell isolated in plain, oval, of alluvial silt and covered with dense vegetation. Test-pitted all over in 2009 but left to 2016 without development. Details SCA Daqahliya - Damietta register no. 050308 (marked incorrectly as 050309 on SCA map). SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/660; Chlodnicki in Bull. GIECE 13, 25; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53; id., map in Brink, NDIT, 173.
Luqin, T SE of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 06 12N
30 10 55E
destroyed
366 Satellite imagery (2006) shows traces of a cratered mound at the south edge of a town, which itself may be on more of the former site. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Madain, T el- 20km NW of Qantara 30 59 44N
32 08 13E
part levelled
653 In 2009, a mound of some 700 x 800m still remained, the NE portion of a once much larger tell. It lies in an area of flat land being reclaimed for agriculture and fish-farming. SCA Sharqiya register 13060038.
Madbuh, K S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 30 59 46N
30 08 55E
150 x 120m
(2006)
412 Visited by Hogarth in 1895, who noted a Roman fresco. The mound is indicated 2km NW of Ezba Madbuh on the SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map. Satellite imagery (2006) shows modern tombs on the mound. SCA Beheira register no. 100249. Hogarth EEF Report 1895, see P Spencer, in Studies on Ancient Egypt in honour of H S Smith (EES 1999), 305, 310.
Magadieb, El- 5km SSW of Kom Hamada 30 42 45N
30 40 55E
overbuilt
702 Satellite imagery (2006) shows some remains of a mound at the east end of a town, but it probably also extends under the whole town. SCA Beheira register no. 100208.
Magar, Tulul el- S of Edku 31 12 24N
30 19 21E
300 x 300m
228 A mound covered by modern houses exists at this location. -
Magasib, K N of Biyala 31 19 06N
31 12 53E
levelled
489 Not found on a visit to the area by J and P Spencer in 1997. In early 20th century was about 450 x 230m. The 1960s CORONA images show the north part of the mound still covering 360 x 200m, the southern half already levelled. Now (2016) overbuilt by tombs on west and village Ezba Abis on east. SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map.
Magayir (i), K el- SE of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 02 19N
30 07 46E
overbuilt
395 A sandy area of uncultivated land on the S side of a canal, partly overbuilt by houses but clear beside the canal itself. SCA Beheira register no. 100133, The SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map marks Ezba Kom el Magayir at this location, but has a Kom el Magayir further east, at the position of SCA 100102 (Abu el-Gheraniq, EES no. 694).
Magayir (ii), K el- S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 01 03N
30 09 03E
100 x 50m
(2006)
697 A rectangular patch of wasteland shows on satellite imagery (2006) of this location, with an equivalent area occupied by houses to the SW. SCA Beheira register no. 100134.
Magayir (iii), K el- S of Kafr ed-Dauwar 30 58 47N
30 07 03E
levelled
698 Only fields show on satellite imagery (2006) of this location. The SCA map places the site not far west of Kom Fargala (EES 411, SCA 100228). SCA Beheira register no. 100135.
Maghud, T el- (Farasha) SE of Dahtamun 30 40 03N
31 44 19E
300 x 175 x 4.7m
353 Amsterdam University survey 1984: Former name Tell Farasha. E part of tell covered by village of Ezba Ali Suliman el-Maghud. Details SCA Sharqiya register 13050074 (as Farashah). SoE 1:25,000 series, 88/675; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff., 23. Earlier condition:ASAE 65, 175-6; Leclant, Orientalia 44, 202. 
Mahar, K el- SW of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 01 22N
30 03 34E
440 x 200 x 12m (2004)
398 The main part of the site consists of a 10-12m high mound at the north, covered in pottery. The lower slopes of the mound at the SW are covered by a modern cemetery and the SE area of the site is dug out and flattened. Details and photos SCA Beheira register no. 100167. The location shown in the SCA map brochure differs from these co-ordinates. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 49-51, 297-301, id. 2010, 121.
Mahgar, T el- see Minshat Abu Omar -
destroyed
206 Just 2.5km south-east of Minshat Abu Omar and 2km south of Tell Ginn. The area is now all cultivated. Müller, in SBAW 8 (1966), Abb.9.
Mahgara, T el- W of Damietta 31 24 30N
31 34 33E
260 x 120m
(2016)
715 Mound reduced by fields and occupied by disused? military installations. Originally extended further to the west. SCA Daqahliya - Damietta register no. 050112.
Mahgarit el Ganib, K Central N coast 31 27 05N
31 17 40E
400 x 200m
133 A large sandy mound, partly occupied by some modern installations.  On map in Bietak, Tell ed-Daba, II.

IBR-KAH         Back to top          MAH-MIR