Young Explorers' Club

The Madrasa (theological school) and Khanqah (residential quarters for Sufis, Muslim ascetics) is located in Sharia Al-Mu’izz, one of the main thoroughfares of Historic Cairo. It was constructed by Sultan Barquq who established the rule of the Burgi Mamluks in 1382 and spent much of his reign defending his new throne from insurgents and rebellions. The beautifully decorated ceiling seen in this virtual tour is supported by four red granite columns of Pharaonic date evidencing the often sympathetic and symbolic reuse of monuments during this period.