Visited by J. and P. Spencer in January 1990: A large tell, deeply cut for sebakh leaving isolated high areas of hard earth and mud brick. Parts of massive brick walls are exposed, which in their thicknesses and pan-bedded courses have some characteristics of temple enclosure walls of the Late Period. Alternatively, they may have belonged to tower-houses of the Ptolemaic Period. The site is littered with fired bricks, with some exposed building traces of the same material. Red granite Roman column drum and pieces of weathered limestone on the surface. Late Roman sherds. There is a large village on eastern edge of the site, with an unpaved road across the tell. Mentioned by Hogarth in 1904.

Photographs taken 1990 © Patricia & Jeffrey Spencer

   

   

In April 2011, the EES Delta Survey mapped this site and began an investigation of the high mud-brick ruins in the north part of the mound. This was followed in 2012 by the excavation of one example of the brick buildings, which proved to be a Ptolemaic tower-house.

Panel join in mass of mud-brick

Additional courses of brick below ground level in massive wall

North side of wall in picture 2, showing buried brick extending to original face

Mud-brick wall embedded in fill

Late wall built on top of the larger one shown in the images above

Red granite millstone, one of several on the surface

Excavation in 2012. The low foundations belong to the same building as the the high wall, but have been cut down by sebakkhin.

Foundation of the tower-house, cut by pits, east side