Name Location
Map ref.
Extent No. Notes Literature
Bahu, T Near Mansura 30 56 55N
31 21 31E
destroyed
516 Already by 1913 of insignificant size. Red bricks and fragment of stone relief of a king offering to divinities. Now overbuilt by modern settlement. Close to Tell Umm Galagil or an alternative name for the same mound? Koms a Sebakh, 12; Daressy ASAE 13 (1913), 184-5. Friedman and Buck forthcoming.
Baiyata, T el- Central North coast 31 25 40N
31 25 05E
formerly 200m long
146 Satellite imagery (2007) shows the remnants of a mound, cut into fragments in an agricultural basin. -
Bakarsha, T 3km S of San el Hagar 30 56 39N
31 52 17E
500 x 210m
(2005)
652 Remains of a partly flattened mound in the cultivation. Part of north end cratered to create a pool; a few modern tombs on the south end. SCA Sharqiya register 13060023.
Bakrag, K SW of Abu Hummus 31 02 34N
30 14 15E
400 x 200m
(2007)
391 A substantial mound, overbuilt by modern tombs on the north side and along the SW edge. SCA Beheira register no. 100171. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). ESA 1:50,000 map (1996), sheet NH36-M1a.
Balamun, T el- 9 km NW of Shirbin 31 15 31N
31 34 17E
1 km diameter x 17.75 m high
148 Substantial city-mound of Smabehdet - Paiuenamun. Survey and excavation by the British Museum from 1991 to 2010. Details and bibliography SCA Daqahliya register no. 050101. Information on the excavation may be downloaded from the British Museum website: see the link on the Details page. 
Balsun, T (Salib) 3 km S of El-Qurdi 31 08 28N
31 46 08E
300m diameter x 10m high max.
322 Visited for the Delta Survey in 1997 by J and P Spencer: reduced to a high core of mud-brick walls and fill, with a lower surrounding area. Details and photos SCA Daqahliya - Damietta register no. 050206. Foucart RT 20 (1898), 166; id., ASAE 2 (1901), 63 and 76-7, fig. 13.
Bana, T 12km SE of Mansura
undefined
overbuilt
517 Graeco-Roman site 6km N of Tell Baqliya, covered by a cemetery in 1893. Used by the military since 1970s. Ancient Thelbounthis? Roman head of Isis, Ptolemaic statuette of Isis found by sebakhin 1894, reported to be in Cairo Museum.  See Foucart ASAE 2 (1901), 50,74, No.3; Foucart RT 20 (1898), 164; Zivie, Hermopolis et le Nome de L'Ibis, 154-55, nos.44-45; Yoyotte MDAIK 16, 419-23.
Baqar, K el- SW of Damanhur, near El-Abqaein 30 53 14N
30 20 23E
350 x 240m
(2007)
298 Visited by Steven Snape for EES in 1996: a large mound with visible mud-brick wall traces and scatters of Roman sherds. Crossed by tracks on the N and E edges. Clear of overbuilding. SCA Beheira register no. 100234. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). See Coulson in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260. Fine Greek pottery from this site, see Weber, S., Griechische Feinkeramik und Transportamphoren aus Fundorten in Ägypten (ausser aus Naukratis).
Baqar, K el- - - - - see Nasr, K el- (204) -
Baqliya, T S of Mansura 30 56 55N
31 25 51E
Levelled to 1-2m
79 Part of Hermopolis Parva, with the adjacent Tell el-Naqus, with El-Tell el-Ahmar [80] further west. Used by the military since 1970. For satellite image and references to excavation and finds, click the link: Details SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050310 (location marked erroneously as 050303 on SCA map).
Baqlula, K N of Kafr es-Sheikh 31 12 18N
30 55 10E
110 x 70m
(1968)
275 A small mound is visible at this location on CORONA imagery, long ago levelled to cultivation. See Schiestl 2010b, 5-6.
Baradi, K el- 1.5km NNW of Diarb Nigm 30 45 50N
31 25 45E
destroyed
520 Appears on SoE 1:25,000 sheet 89/645. Seen by Foucart in 1892, who estimated it would vanish within a decade. Pottery and coins found in sebakh in 1893. Since levelled to cultivation. SoE 1:25,000 series, 89/645; Foucart, RT 20 (1898), 162, n.1)
Baramkin S of Simbellawein 30 47 13N
31 27 52E
overbuilt
497 Noted by Foucart in 1901 as a small Ptolemaic site covered by an Islamic cemetery. Ptolemaic statue found here. Mapped by Paul Buck for the Friedman and Buck 1992 survey, but under the name Tell Yusef through confusion with Shon Yusef (EES 312). The site was still visible on satellite images of 2007. Appears in the SCA Sharqiya register as no. 13100089, named 'Mantiqat Birmakin'. Foucart, ASAE 2 (1901), 48, 50.; SoE 1:100,000 map (1916). Marked on the map in Bietak, Tell ed-Daba II, under the name 'Tell Jusef'.
Barhim  N of Barhim village in Minufiya - - - see Ashiri -
Barnugi, El- S of Damanhur 30 55 36N
30 23 11E
560 x260 x 1.5m (2004)
296 On SoE 1916 map twin mounds are shown, T. el-Barnugi el-bahari and el-qibli, with T. Nauwar between them. Co-ordinates are for the south mound. Visited by Penny Wilson in 2004. Details SCA Beheira register no. 100127-128. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). Edgar, in ASAE 11 (1910), 278. See Bernand, Delta Grecs, 1, pt.4, 933-961, with quotes of descriptions by Botti and Edgar, ibid., 946-7; Coulson, COD, I, 69-70 and figs.28-32; Journal of Field Archaeology 6 (1979), 163.
Barriya, T el- 1.5km NE of El-Buha 30 47 01N
31 39 02E
150 x 100 x 2.5m
(1984)
558 Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: a small tell partly covered by modern cemetery. Late Roman sherds from fields to NE. Reduced to 125 x 75m by 2007 through levelling of the N end. SCA Sharqiya register 13130062 (as Tell el Buha wa Kafr Mohamed Khalil). SoE 1:25,000 series, 89/675; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff.
Barsiq, K N of Abu Hummus 31 08 10N
30 19 45E
levelled?
371 The mound shown at this location on the SoE 1916 map seems to have been levelled, but there is a site further south, near the village of Barsiq, which was seen by Penny Wilson in 2004. The latter site might be Kom Awad (see above, no.637). SoE 1:100,000 (1916). Cf. SCA Beheira register no. 100181) - for Kom Awad. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 138-145, 362-6.
Barud, K el- SW of Naukratis 30 48 58N
30 29 46E
375 x 250m
(2007)
295 Tested by American Naukratis project 1982. Low sandy mound covered with vegetation. Ptolemaic to Roman sherds on surface. Remains of red brick structures and mosaic floor (1980). Late Roman pottery mostly 3-4 C AD; some down to 7thC. Surveyed by J. Trampier, 2007-8. SCA Beheira register no. 100233. See JARCE 19, 84-5; Coulson, Cities of the Delta I: Naukratis, 78-9 and figs.42-43. Coulson & Leonard in JARCE 19 (1982), 84-5. On sketch map by Coulson, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260; Trampier, J. 2014. Landscape Archaeology of the Western Nile Delta, 165-75, 178-93.
Bashallis, K NE of Biyala 31 20 23N
31 21 34E
550 x 170m
126 A long thin mound, the central part being used as a modern cemetery for the adjacent town of Es-Satamuni, to which it is linked by a road. Between 2003 and 2009, a clear zone at the north end was overbuilt by a large installation, probably industrial. SoE 1:100,000 (1916); ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH 36-M3d.
Basta, T At Zagazig 30 34 10N
31 31 00E
much reduced
220 Major site not part of this survey 
Ancient Bubastis. Worked since 2009 by an expedition from the EES and the University of Würzburg.
SCA Sharqiya register no. 13030007. For bibliography, click here: Basta
Bastamida el Aguza, K Central N coast 31 24 05N
31 25 15E
destroyed
144 No site is visible on satellite images of 2007, only recently reclaimed fields. Not indicated on ESA 1996 map NH36-M3d
Bastamida el Sabiya, K Central N coast 31 24 25N
31 24 12E
destroyed
145 No site is visible on satellite images of 2007,  only recently reclaimed fields. Not indicated on ESA 1996 map NH36-M3d
Bat el-Kom, T Near El-Matamir 30 54 50N
30 09 42E
800 x 800m
(2006)
523 An extensive mound by the road at the west end of El Matamir. Parts levelled or overbuilt. SCA work at this site in Feb 1986: Pottery objects, lamps, stamped handles, coins and amphorae. Clear part of mound visible in 2004 was completely overbuilt by 2016. SCA Beheira register no. 100211. Rabie Amin Abu el-Kasim, "The Northwestern Nile Delta: Problems and Priorities", in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 279-80.
Batal, T el- S of Husseiniya 30 50 00N
31 55 02E
destroyed
554 Amsterdam University survey 1984. Levelled a long time ago to agriculture. Villagers mentioned former presence of red granite blocks here. Late Roman sherds noted. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/690; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 22.
Beda, T el- Near Simbellawein 30 56 50N
31 32 18E
destroyed
500 Italian survey in 1987 found site to have been destroyed by modern village. A small village and cemetery are visible on satellite imagery of 2007. Koms à Sebakh, 11; Chlodnicki et al, CRIPEL 14 (1992), 50. 
Behaim, T el- 14km E of San el Hagar 30 59 02N
32 03 07E
levelled
651 Site located in an area of land reclamation for fish-farming. SCA Sharqiya register 13060019.
Behaira, K el-
(Zekri)
SE of Hosh Isa 30 53 26N
30 18 28E
400 x 300m
(2007)
449 Once a large mound (600m N-S), the S half now levelled, but the curved shape of the fields shows the original extent in satellite imagery (2007). The N half was overbuilt by a sewage plant before 2004. SCA Beheira register no. 100257, under the name Kom Zekri. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Behbeit el-Hagar 10 km W of Mansura 31 01 40N
31 17 22E
Temple wall around 300 x 150m
83 Major site not part of this survey
Ancient Iseum. Ruins of temple of Isis within enclosure wall, dynasty 30 to Ptolemaic. Work in progress by French mission 1990s. 
SCA Gharbiya register no. 080203. See PM IV, 40-2; see Favard-Meeks, C., ‘The present state of the site of Behbeit el-Hagar’, BMSAES 3, 2002; id., in Dossiers d'Archeologie 213 (1996), 82-5; id. 'Le temple de Behbeit el Hagara', in SAK Beiheft 6 (1991), 1-523, with additional references.
Beida, K el- N of Kafr ed-Dauwar 31 09 30N
30 04 33E
50 x 50m
(2007)
355 Reduced to a square patch of wasteland beside the Kafr ed-Dauwar - Alexandria road. SCA Beheira register no. 100162. SoE 1:100,000 (1916).
Belim, T E of San el Hagar 30 58 42N
32 10 25E
1000 x 570 x 11m high
198 Identified with Sethroe = Herakleopolis Parva. Surveyed for EES by P Wilson and J Spencer, Sept. 2000. Excavation in the temple site by J and P Spencer for the British Museum in Spring 2002. Details and photos See Spencer, A.J., 'The Exploration of Tell Belim 1999-2002', in JEA 88 (2002), 37-51.
Belqas N of Cairo  30 10 33N
31 16 51E
overbuilt
634 The modern town is built over an ancient site. SCA Qalubiya register no. 070101
Bendariya Between Tala and Tanta 30 43 16N
30 56 50E
150 x 100m on 1996 map
306 Parts now levelled for agriculture and the remaining high areas used as cemeteries. Satellite images (2007) show the shape of the original mound in the field pattern. Details Daressy, ASAE 12, 205-9; ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-I5b. Leclant & Clerc, Orientalia 55 (1986), 243, note the excavation of Coptic tombs by Mohammed Salah ed-Din for the SCA.
Beni Miras, K E of Mansura 31 01 20N
31 31 15E
overbuilt
157 Overbuilt by the town of El-Khalig. Noted by Foucart in 1898. Two female heads of dyn 26 found in sebakh. Foucart RT 20 (1898), 165; ASAE 2 (1901), 74.

ARA-BAH         Back to top          BEN-DAB