Name

Location

Map ref.

Extent

No.

Notes

Literature

Ahmar, El K el-

W of Benha

30 27 48N 
30 59 05E

overbuilt

44

Visited by EES survey of 2005, led by J. Rowland. The kom still rises to about 6m in the centre of the village and the total village land, including houses and fields is 320 feddans. Details and photos

SoE 1:100,000 (1916), as a village only; Yoyotte, J., 'Le grand Kom el-Ahmar de Menufiyah et deux Naos du Pharaon Amasis', BSFE 151 (juin 2001), 54-83. See P. Wilson and J. Rowland in JEA 92 (2006), 11-13.

Ahmar, El K el-

SW of Damanhur

30 55 55N 
30 26 40E

175 x 125m (2003)

440

A small mound set amongst fields, with one house in south-west corner. A north-facing section has been created by levelling part of the tell in preparation for a field, about 2m in height. Details and photos

SCA Beheira register no. 100205. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). See Wilson, P. and Spencer, N., “Ancient sites of Beheira and Kafr es-Sheikh”, in EA 24 (Spring 2004), 10-11.

Ahmar, El K el-

W of Damietta

31 24 26N 
31 32 34E

200 x 100m 
(2006)

716

A small mound, reduced to an irregular shape by advance of the fields. Clear of overbuilding but crossed by many tracks.

SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050102.

Ahmar (ii), K el-

-

-

-

-

see Nuss el Kebir (286)

SCA Beheira register 100120.

Ahmar (iii), K el-

-

-

-

-

see Zawya, K ez-

SCA Beheira register 100119.

Ahmar (iv), K el-

S of Damanhur

30 52 44N 
30 27 53E

350 x 200m 
(2004)

712

A mound at the south edge of a village, overbuilt by a modern cemetery. It was about double the size in 1968 (CORONA imagery).

SCA Beheira register 100206.

Ahmar, El T el-

E of Simbellawein

30 57 34N 
31 45 06E

levelled

349

Italian survey 1987-88: A Ptolemaic to Byzantine mound, entirely levelled to cultivation.

SoE 1:25,000 series, 91/675; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53. No mention in id., Bull. GIECE 13, 22-6 but on map in Brink, NDIT,173.

Ahmar, El T el-

S of Mansura

30 57 16N 
31 24 48E

210 x 170m 
(2007)

80

Situated little south-west of Baqliya village, or 1.5 km to west of Tell Zereiqi. Third mound of Baqliya. Also called T. Barah or T. el-Ruba. Details

SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050302. 

Ahmar, el-T el-

5.5km SE of Husseiniya

30 49 03N 
31 56 20E

250 x 180m 
(1985)

190

Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: site free of modern buildings. Founded on a gezira. Covered with red potsherds, except on sandy E end. Details

SCA Sharqiya register 13060013. SoE 1:25,000 series, 90/690; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff., 21.

Ahmar, K el-

9 km WNW of Minuf

30 29 33N 
30 51 50E

levelled

39

Almost levelled by 1912, leaving few isolated mounds 1-2m high. No remains noted except for a Coptic pot and 2 mortars. Inspected by Joanne Rowland for the Delta Survey, 2006. Details

ASAE 12, 203. 

Ahmar, K el-

SW edge of Mahmudiya

31 10 42N 
30 31 06E

459 x 180m 
(2006)

1

Modern building noted in area by Penny Wilson in 2002. CORONA images show a large mound 600m long. A small clear area still showed on satellite imagery (2006) at the SW edge of a modern development. Site remained fairly clear until 2009, but has been extensively levelled and built over since then. Details

Same site as Kom el Nigili, no. 100168 of the SCA Beheira register. SoE 1:100,000 (1916); 1:25,000 series, 94/555 [as Tell el Nigli]; ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-M2a.See Bernand, Delta d'apres les textes grecs, 476ff.

Ahmar, K el-

W of Mehalla

30 59 05N 
31 06 20E

destroyed?

75

No trace of any site is visible on satellite photography of this location.

-

Ahmar, K el-

-

-

-

333

see Bisintawi (333)

-

Ahmar, K el-

S of Damanhur

30 52 22N 
30 24 37E

160 x 240m (2004)

443

Visited by Neal Spencer for the Delta Survey in 2004. Land reclamation in progress. 
Details and photos

SoE 1:100,000 (1916). On sketch map by Coulson, in Brink, Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 260.

Ahmar, T el-

E of Simbellawein

30 54 39N 
31 36 32E

destroyed

176

According to the SCA this site has been levelled and cultivated. Italian survey 1987-8 noted late Roman pottery and list as a Ptolemaic to Roman site. A remnant of the mound may remain below some modern houses.

SoE 1:25,000 series, 91/660. See Koms à Sebakh, 11. Chlodnicki, in Bull. GIECE 13, 25; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53.

Ahmar, T el-

850m NE of T Moqdam

30 41 13N 
31 21 45E

levelled

511

Once part of T el-Moqdam. Persian, Ptolemaic and Roman sherds, together with limestone fragments, noted in the fields in summer 1992 by Friedman and Buck.

-

Ahmar, T el-

4km SE of Hehia

30 38 39N 
31 37 09E

overbuilt

668

A village built over a levelled mound.

SCA Sharqiya register 13150080.

Aiyad, K

SE of Minuf

30 20 54N 
31 00 06E

levelled

47

This location was visited by an EES survey of 2005 led by J. Rowland. It is now overbuilt by a village but in the past there was a large mound here.

-

Akhar, El-

NW of Damanhur

31 05 45N 
31 23 32E

levelled

704

Satellite imagery (2007) shows only cultivated fields at this location.

SCA Beheira register 100108.

Akhdar, El K el-

E of Shibin el-Kom

30 36 15N 
31 00 03E

levelled

62

Visited by EES survey of 2005, led by J. Rowland. Site is levelled to a village and agriculture. No ancient remains were seen, but  local residents mentioned the former existence of a mound.

-

Akhdar, El K el-

In Lake Burullos

31 26 56N 
30 49 54E

200 x 150m 
(2006)

259

A large mound in the lake, of narrow, rectangular shape. Visited by Penny Wilson for EES in 2002 and again in 2012. 
Details

SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090108. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 237-9.

Akhdar, El K el-

9km E of T Moqdam

30 41 59N 
31 26 54E

100 x 90m 
(2006)

68

A low mound no more than 2-3 metres higher than the surrounding fields, occupied by a modern cemetery with perhaps 70 recent tombs and several older graves. Details

Daressy, ASAE 13 (1913), 186; Friedman and Buck MSS. 1992.

Akhdar, K el-

S of Abu Hummus

30 57 56N 
30 16 49E

400 x 200m 
(2006)

433

Originally a long mound of 1200 x 350m, now considerably reduced. Details

SCA Beheira register no. 100207. SoE 1:100,000 (1916). Bernand, Delta Grecs, 1, pt.4, 928-931 and pl.50.

Akhdar, T el-

N of Abu Kebir

30 50 52N 
31 44 01E

310 x 210m

183

Listed by Amsterdam University survey of 1984-5. The mound rises about 5m. and was overbuilt by a military base. Sherds noted from OK, 1IP and NK. Set among fields. For OK pottery examples see Jucha 2012.

SCA Sharqiya register 13130054. SoE 1:25,000 map 90/675, Brink in MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff., 21; id., “The Amsterdam University Survey to the north-eastern Nile Delta (1984- 1986)”, id. Archaeology of the Nile Delta, 65-114; Jucha, M.A. 2012, 'Naqada III-Old Kingdom pottery in the Nile Delta: a view from Tell el-Akhdar', Studies in Ancient Art and Civilization 16, 49-60

Alamiya, T el-

-

-

-

-

See Gamus 087

-

Alaqma, El-

S of Abu Kebir

30 37 30N 
31 37 56E

levelled

531

Amsterdam University survey 1984-5: village of El-Alaqma built over part of a levelled tell, with the north and north-east parts of the mound levelled to agriculture. Details

SCA Sharqiya register 13150069. SoE 1:25,000 series, 87/675; Brink, MDAIK 43 (1986), 7ff.

Alawi, K

NE of Fuwa

31 21 09N 
30 43 10E

192 x 189m (2003)

241

Mapped in 2003 by team led by Penny Wilson. Known locally as Kom Ezbet El-Farr. The tell has a small flat edge and then steep sides rising to a plateau on the top. Details

ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-M2c. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090156 (as "Aluwe"). Appears on ESA 1996 map without name, with spot-height of 12m. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 223-5, 427-8.

Ali, K

W of Tanta

30 54 18N 
30 59 50E

destroyed

20

Signposted to W of Tanta - Kafr es-Sheikh road. Tanta Inspectorate says now levelled and overbuilt by the town of the same name.

-

Amd, T (Soweida)

E of Tanis

30 56 38N 
32 05 58E

400 x 350m (2001)

200

This site lies by the side of the road between Tell Ginn and Tell Belim, some 7 km from Belim. It is clear of overbuilding. Details and photo

SCA Sharqiya register e13060037 -  under the name Soweida. Survey of Egypt 1:100,000 map (1916) - as Tell Amd.

Amsa Wasafar, T el-

-

-

-

-

See T ed-Daba (172)

-

Amya, T-

NW of Buto

31 13 40N 
30 38 07E

300 x 200m

249

A Roman mound, dug for sebakh. Shown without name on ESA 1996 map at Ezba er-Rifi. 
Details and map

SoE 1:25,000 series, 94/570; ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-M2a. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090130. Spencer in SA 14 (1992), 535-6. Wilson, P., The West Delta Regional Survey, Beheira and Kafr el-Sheikh Provinces, 209-212.

Aniz Ghubriyal, Ez.

E of Simbellawein

30 57 44N 
31 42 15E

levelled, overbuilt

348

Italian survey 1987-8: Ptolemaic to Roman. Some Late Roman pottery noted. The site is overbuilt by the village.

SoE 1:25,000 series, 91/675; Chlodnicki and Fattovich in CRIPEL 14 (1992), 45-53; id., Bull. GIECE 13, 25. On map in Brink, NDIT, 173.

Arab el-Eliqat el-Bahariya

E of Shibin el Qanatir

30 17 35N 
31 21 26E

levelled

726

A sand-quarry in the same general region as SCA site 070207. On SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map.

SCA Qalubiya register no. 070208.

Arab el-Sawalah (Geheina)

E of Shibin el Qanatir

30 17 56N 
31 21 08E

levelled

725

This location lies at the edge of a town. The name appears on the SoE 1:100,000 (1916) map.

SCA Qalubiya register no. 070207.

Arab el Sheikh Mubarak

near Dahtamun

30 38 17N 
31 41 24E

levelled, overbuilt

586

Listed by the Amsterdam University Survey 1984-5 as having been completely levelled. MK, 2IP and NK sherds noted. Satellite images from 2006 show only cultivated fields.

SCA Sharqiya register 13040092. Brink, in MDAIK 43 (1986), 20.

Arab, K el- (Kafri)

N of Buto

31 19 00N 
30 43 18E

556 x 545m (2003)

243

Mapped and described in 2003 by a team led by P. Wilson. The site has the usual flat sides with a steep mound in the middle and a flat plateau on top. Details

ESA 1996 1:50,000 map NH36-M2c. SCA Kafr es-Sheikh register no. 090172. Appears as a substantial mound on the ESA 1996 map under the name Tell Kafri (mound of ruins).

Arab, T el-

Near Fariskur

31 14 54N 
31 45 55E

340 x 230m 
(2006)

155

Late Roman to Coptic mound of about 50 feddan, cut back to a rectangular shape. It extended some 200m further to the NE in the 1960s. Satellite imagery taken in 2011 shows lines of many ancient buildings, most probably Roman, on the west part, and a small modern cemetery in the centre. Details

SCA Daqahliya - Dameitta register no. 050110.

ABU-AHM         Back to top          ARA-BAH