Professor Harry Smith Professor Harry S Smith first worked in Egypt with Professor Emery on the excavation of tomb 3505 at Saqqara. From 1959-65 he worked at Buhen Fortress and Qasr Ibrim and directed the Egyptian Nubian Survey and excavations at Kor with his wife, Hazel. In 1963 he became Petrie Museum Curator at University College London before being appointed to the Edwards Chair of Egyptology in 1970. From 1964-76 he worked at the Saqqara Sacred Animal Necropolis and from 1977-88 directed surveys and excavations at the Anubieion and Memphis. Since retiring from UCL in 1993 he has collaborated with Sue Davies on publishing the wonderful SAN site, objects and demotic documents.